Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Chris Botti - Night Sessions (2001)


He doesn't look too excited on that album cover, does he? This is smooth jazz and instrumental pop music much in the vein of Botti's previous album, Slowing Down the World. For the most part, these tracks are slow to medium tempo songs played in minor keys; laid-back with Botti using various mutes in his trumpet. My only real complaint is the production, which relies too much on programming and doesn't allow for enough interaction between the musicians (read: jazz music should be cut live). Botti assembled a great backing band that includes Dominic Miller, Christian McBride, and Vinnie Colaiuta, along with other L.A. session greats. According to the liner notes, the album was recorded "only after the sun had set," hence the title. Kinda cheesy, but I have to admit that it's right on the mark - this is perfect for late night listening (preferably alfresco or driving on a long stretch of highway on a hot, dry night).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My top tracks are Lisa, Streets Ahead, and Easter Parade. There's two vocal tracks included here - All Would Envy (written by Sting, sung by Shawn Colvin) and a mostly wordless vocal by Swedish singer Camilla on You Move Me. Normally I abhor vocal tracks on instrumental albums, but these two are tastefully done so they don't bother me, particularly the latter track. The worst track here is ironically titled Best Time.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I listened to Botti a lot around the turn of the century when I worked in a small, rural farming community (I'm confident I was the only person listening to smooth jazz within a 5 mile radius of my office), but not so much now. I also enjoy it and am pleasantly surprised when a Botti tune turns up on a shuffle, though.


Previously revisited for the blog:
When I Fall In Love (2004)
A Thousand Kisses Deep (2003)
December (2002)
Slowing Down the World (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment