Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chris Botti - December (2002)


Many Christmas albums are hit-or-miss, with usually less than half the tracks worth listening to. That's not the case here. This is one of the few Christmas albums I can listen to all the way through. Great playing of quality low-key, downbeat arrangements. Very contemplative and moody. Recommended for a quiet night by the fire.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #124

Tracks: Great Christmas classics, plus a great cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (an interesting choice, but without the lyrics it seems to fit). There's one original, Perfect Day (written by Richard Marx and his wife) which is forgettable, but doesn't ruin the CD. Botti sings on that track and he doesn't have the greatest voice. He also sings on Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. He should stick to playing trumpet, but I guess he wants to be Chet Baker when he grows up. My fave tracks are Let It Snow, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Winter Wonderland, and I'll Be Home For Christmas. The "Miles-Davis-In-A-Silent-Way" take on The Little Drummer Boy seems slightly out of place, but I like it anyway.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This may have been the only Christmas CD I listened to in 2002. I gave a copy to a friend and colleague and he loved it, too. In fact, he said he had almost bought the CD the week before I gave him a copy.

Previously revisited for the blog:
When I Fall In Love (2004)
A Thousand Kisses Deep (2003)
Slowing Down the World (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment