Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chris Botti - A Thousand Kisses Deep (2003)


NUMBERS WEEK (MARCH 14-20, 2011)

Another pop/smooth jazz release from trumpeter Chris Botti. Botti covers two Bacharach tunes on the disc and he's striving to get a Bacharachesque cool batchelor pad feel with this release. Nothing too upbeat, very smooth and romantic, lots of synths and drum loops. As with most Botti recordings, its formulaic, but the formula works for him so why not? I liked the formula for a while around the turn of the century, but I haven't purchased anything of Botti's in the last 6 or 7 years.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorites are Indian Summer, Back Into My Heart, and the two tracks with guest vocals. The first is a version of Bacharach's The Look Of Love with a vocal from Chantal Kreviazuk (I like her voice and need to check out her material) the second is the laid-back Ever Since We Met with sexy breathy vocals by Bridget Benenate. I've never been a fan of the standard My Funny Valentine and the version included here does nothing to change my mind about that.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment