Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Robyn - Body Talk (2010)


Whew, I love some dance music, but this relentless beat wears down this old man after a while. However, under all the keyboards, sequencing, and sadistic drumbeats is some pretty good pop songwriting. While not an overwhelming chart success, critics loved it: Body Talk was chosen the 2nd best album released in 2010 by Popjustice and Slant Magazine, the 3rd best by Entertainment Weekly, MTV, and Billboard, the 10th best by both The A.V. Club and Spin, and 14th best by Rolling Stone. Metacritic rates it at 86. I agree that it is really good electric dance music, I just have to take it in small doses.

Update: In its 2020 list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Rolling Stone ranked Body Talk at #196.

This album was put together in an unusual way, with much of the material being released on EPs in the months preceding the album release. If you want the whole story, you can read more on Robyn's Blog, at Allmusic, and, of course, Wikipedia.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #142 (Dec 11, 2010)

Tracks: Without a doubt, my favorite song is the ridiculously repetitive third track, Don't F***ing Tell Me What To Do (NSFW). Second place goes to the equally ridiculous collaboration with Snoop Dogg, U Should Know Better (NSFW). Also good are Dancing On My Own, Time Machine, and In My Eyes. Even silly stuff like Fembot is fun and danceable. I usually skip Indestructible, Love Kills, and None Of Dem.

I'm indifferent to the song We Dance To The Beat, but it does contain a great lyric: "We dance to the beat of your brain not evolving fast enough." I love it and I don't even know what it means.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: After I discovered Don't F***ing Tell Me What To Do, it was played non-stop in my truck for about 2 weeks straight. I still listen to it often and sing along if I have a bad day at work, adding my own lyrics as necessary to make me feel better (ex: "LiveText is killing me").

Previously revisited for the blog:
Do You Know (What It Takes) (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment