Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - The Dirty Boogie (1998)


I purchased this disc at the height of the swing revival in the late '90s. My participation in that revival was limited to liking the 1996 movie Swingers, hearing Royal Crown Revue open for The Pretenders once, and purchasing this CD. Setzer, of course, was the singer/songwriter/guitarist/front man for the Stray Cats. The whole thing is very loud and over the top with middling arrangements, which explains why I don't listen to it much. But Setzer seems to be enjoying himself and that's gotta count for something. People seem to either love it or hate it. I'm indifferent - I don't mind the music, but I don't go looking for it.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #9 (Oct 3, 1998)


Tracks: As far as jump blues goes, I'd rather listen to Basie, but there's a decent cover of Louis Prima's Jump Jive An' Wail (the highest-charting single of swing revival, peaking at #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 and winning a Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal) and the in-your-face cover of the Stray Cats' Rock This Town is fun. I love the classics Sleepwalk and Since I Don't Have You, but not the interpretations here, even though Sleepwalk won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment