Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Joe Jackson - Night And Day II (2000)


This probably would have played better with a different album title. As it stands, it's a sequel to one of my favorite albums, Jackson's 1982 release Night and Day. Unfortunately, this is more like Godfather III than Godfather II. I fully understand the attraction of revisiting a successful formula, but the decision to produce a sequel invites comparisons to the original and, in this case, that's a tough act to follow. Wanting it to be like the original is ridiculous and impossible: subject (NYC), musician, and listener had all aged 18 years between releases. In other words, in 2000, Joe and I were no longer angry young men, just angry men. Jackson produces this himself instead of getting back original N&D producer David Kershenbaum, but who knows if having Kershenbaum at the controls would have made any difference. Ultimately, I'm a little disappointed, but at least there are a few good songs I can take away from this release.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I almost never listen to this all the way through, but when it's good, it's really good. The best songs are Hell Of A Town (which musically quotes Steppin' Out and lyrically quotes Midnight Cowboy), Stranger Than You, and Glamour And Pain. Any of those three songs could have fit on the 1982 original. I don't mind Dear Mom, but I normally skip Why, Love Got Lost (which sounds like it got away from an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical), and Just Because.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Originally this release was highly anticipated by me. I bought my copy the day of release at a Best Buy instead of waiting for online delivery. I really wanted to like it in toto, so I gave it lots of playing time for a month or two before losing interest. Now hearing it just makes me long to hear the original Night And Day CD.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Rain (2008)
Volume 4 (2003)
Tucker: The Man And His Dream Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1988)
Body and Soul (1984)
Night and Day (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment