Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Asia - Omega (2010)


Italian import

The second studio album from the original band members' second go round (which has lasted longer than their first go round). The songs here aren't as good as 2008's Phoenix and, as a result, this album hasn't gotten much playing time since its purchase. In fact, I just noticed that I've never even gone to the trouble to rip it to iTunes. It's not terribly bad, just not particularly memorable. On a prog rock/pop continuum, this music definitely skews to the pop side, but I'm good with that. I would have liked to have heard what the band's original producer, the late Mike Stone, could have done with these tracks. This album would definitely been helped by bringing out Palmer's drumming and cutting back on the uncharacteristically cheesy keyboard sounds chosen by Downes. So I don't love it, but I don't hate it like this guy.

According to the band's official website, a new studio album is due later this year. Yes, I'll buy it [shrug]. Let's hope the music and album cover are an improvement over this.

Tracks: Of the 12 here, I'll listen to Holy War, I'm Still The Same, I Believe, and Don't Wanna Lose You Know (the band's best ballad since The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, if that means anything). Prog rock fans should be happy with There Was A Time (me? not so much). Asia has never been known for strong lyrics, but even I was surprised to hear a song about a man's unrequited love for a lesbian on an Asia album. That tune, Emily, actually contains the line, "I was blind to the signs of your sexuality. Now it can't be denied, you bat for the other side." I normally don't pay attention to lyrics, but those caught my attention and were quickly followed by an eyeroll.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Phoenix (2008)
Fantasia: Live in Tokyo (2007)
Alpha (1983)
Asia (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment