Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Spyro Gyra - Road Scholars (1998)


Recorded on location across the USA, March - October 1997, except for the final track which was recorded in the studio. The band sounds great, but I still prefer Access All Areas. Allmusic calls this the band's "best release of the 1990s." Hmmm....I'll have to think that one over.

Tracks: I like Breakfast At Igor's, Morning Dance, and Daddy's Got A New Girl Now (although I'm not crazy about that title). They give their first 'hit' Shaker Song a makeover with a nice piano trio treatment. It's easily the best cut on the disc and showcases Tom Schuman's exceptional technique. I'll usually skip the plodding Innocent Soul.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I saw the group in Houston on May 20, 1997, where track 6 of the CD was recorded. I've seen Spyro Gyra twice, and both times, they've recorded one of their two live albums during that tour. In a career that includes 30 albums and constant touring, that's quite a coincidence.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)Stories Without Words (1987)
Original Cinema (2003)Breakout (1986)
In Modern Times (2001)Access All Areas (1984)
20/20 (1997)Incognito (1982)
Love & Other Obsessions (1995)Freetime (1981)
Dreams Beyond Control (1993)Carnaval (1980)
Fast Forward (1990)Catching The Sun (1980)
Point Of View (1989)Morning Dance (1979)

Spyro Gyra (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment