Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance (1979)

CD cover

This was the band's breakthrough album. The title track actually stayed in the Top 40 for 8 weeks, peaking at #24 - the rare smooth jazz crossover hit. It also peaked at #1 on the adult contemporary chart and #60 on the R&B chart.

This wasn't the first Spyro Gyra album I purchased; in fact, I dubbed a cassette copy of a friend's LP. In was, however, the first Spyro Gyra I heard because of the radio airplay. You would recognize music from this album not only from the radio, but also as background music from The Weather Channel and, for a short time in the '80s, as prize cue music from The Price Is Right. I will complain about the liner notes because they are non-existent. The only information given is a track listing, leaving you to guess at the musicians and production team. (update: after a little looking, I find that in addition to the usual SG crew, the Brecker Brothers provide support)

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "Outstanding flute, sax, vibe, percussion and horn work cushion the gently swaying rhythms."
  • CashBox: "a collection of lively, vibrant works"
  • Record World: "Another tasteful set"
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★½
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★★

magazine ad

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #27
  • Billboard Jazz LPs: #2
  • Billboard R&B albums: #33
  • CashBox album: #32
  • CashBox Jazz albums: #2
  • Rolling Stone: #24
  • Record World Jazz LPs: #1

Tracks: 9 tracks clocking in at just over 41 minutes. I've listened to these songs so often that I can look past the rusty '70s synth experiments and enjoy the music and performances. Stronger tracks are Morning Dance and Jubilee. Even the disco goodness of Starburst is a welcome listen. The weakest track is End Of Romanticism, their attempt at real Miles Davisesque fusion.

CD longbox
Exclusive CD longbox photo courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In 1979, my primary means of transportation was a blue 10-speed bicycle. I had been given a yellow AM bike radio which attached to the handlebars. It provided me company as I wove in and out of traffic without a helmet. I must have heard Morning Dance on that radio, because every time I hear that song I think of riding down Marguerite St. on that bike.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)
Original Cinema (2003)
20/20 (1997)
Stories Without Words (1987)
Breakout (1986)
Access All Areas (1984)
Incognito (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment