Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Spyro Gyra - Love & Other Obsessions (1995)


I don't know if this CD contains a few of the band's better tunes or I've just heard them a lot. In any case, I can hum along with most all of the first half of this CD. Spyro Gyra is always moving along a continuum with jazz on one end and instrumental pop on the other. This disc definitely leans toward the pop end of that continuum. It starts strong and falls apart at the end. You could stop listening after about 7 tracks.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I like Lost And Found and Ariana. I've often written about my disdain for including one vocal track on an otherwise instrumental album. Here we have the exception that proves the rule: the vocal track Fine Time To Explain may be my favorite track on the disc because it sounds like something that might have been released in the early '80s. Skip the cheesy Serengeti, On Liberty Road, Baby Dreams, and the second vocal track, Let's Say Goodbye.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This is one of the few CDs I bought during 1994 and 1995. We were a one income family and living hand-to-mouth while saving for a house down payment. I don't know what drew me to this CD since I hadn't purchased a new Spyro Gyra disc since 1987's Stories Without Words.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)Stories Without Words (1987)
Original Cinema (2003)Breakout (1986)
In Modern Times (2001)Access All Areas (1984)
20/20 (1997)Incognito (1982)
Dreams Beyond Control (1993)Carnaval (1980)
Fast Forward (1990)Catching The Sun (1980)
Point Of View (1989)Morning Dance (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment