Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Spyro Gyra - Point Of View (1989)


I'm a SG fan, but this is one of their more bland releases. The late '80s-early '90s were a definite low point for this group. That said, the band stayed true to their roots and, for the most part, avoided the temptation to move to the bad production tricks, heavy synths, and drum machines which were popular in jazz fusion around that time. The playing is all first-rate, but the material just wasn't solid this time around. Most songs never seem to go anywhere. Still, this is good enough background music for work.

Maybe when this blog reaches its conclusion, I'll sit down and rank all my SG CDs (currently numbering 23; who knows if I'll add another by the end).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #120 (July 15, 1989)

Tracks: the only tracks that catch my ear are Swing Street, No Limits, and Counterpoint. Skip track 9, Swamp Thing.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. This album was released in 1989 but I didn't buy it upon its release and didn't hear it until I bought a used copy around 2006 or 2007.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)
Original Cinema (2003)Breakout (1986)
In Modern Times (2001)Access All Areas (1984)
20/20 (1997)Incognito (1982)
Dreams Beyond Control (1993)Carnaval (1980)
Fast Forward (1990)Catching The Sun (1980)
Stories Without Words (1987)Morning Dance (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment