Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Spyro Gyra - Dreams Beyond Control (1993)


The group's 15th studio album. The early '90s were hit-or-miss for this group and this album is no exception - an equal number of good and bad tunes. Normally that sort of ratio would mean that I rarely listen to this album, but now I'm able to rip the tunes I like to a more convenient media file and be selective in what I listen to. For the most part, the band sticks to its successful latin smooth jazz formula, but someone convinced the band it would be a good idea to include two pop vocal tracks on this disc. Whoever made that decision was mistaken. Vocalist Alex Ligertwood (best known for his vocal work with Santana) does an admirable job with throwaway pop material.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My personal picks are Walk the Walk, Breakfast at Igor's, and Birks Law. Skip the psuedo-reggae Patterns In the Rain and the meandering Kindred Spirit.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: While Spyro Gyra didn't have a lot going on in the early '90s, I certainly did. For both those reasons, I no longer bought the band's albums as soon as they were released. I picked up this used CD within the last 10 years.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)
Original Cinema (2003)
20/20 (1997)
Stories Without Words (1987)
Breakout (1986)
Access All Areas (1984)
Incognito (1982)
Carnaval (1980)
Morning Dance (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment