
Valery Gergiev conducting the Kirov Orchestra.
I'll be honest: I bought this CD because 1) it was cheap in the clearance bin, 2) it's a SACD, and 3) I like Sheherazade (also spelled Scheherazade), so why not? Turns out to be a fantastic interpretation, made that much better by the SACD format. This is the fourth CD I own that contains Sheherazade, but this disc includes two new pieces to my shelves, In The Steppes Of Central Asia (Borodin, 1880) and Islamey (Balakirev, 1869). So we've got three of "The Five" represented here.
Recorded under live conditions but without an audience in St Petersburg’s Mariinsky Theatre, this Scheherazade is the most red-blooded, exciting account of Rimsky-Korsakov’s orchestral warhorse that I know, helped by full, immediate sound of a richness rare in Russian recordings.I'll second that. I'm not an expect on SACD by any means, but I've noticed a distinct difference between "native" digital recordings and older recordings subsequently transferred to DSD. Also listening on quality headphones makes a difference. But back to the music itself...excerpt from https://www.gramophone.co.uk/
Tracks: I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to Sheherazade is Rimsky-Korsikov's amazing orchestration. What a master. He should write a book on the subject (spoiler: he did).
I hadn't heard In The Steppes Of Central Asia in many years. When I was studying music back in the 1980's, the piece was commonly played at orchestra concerts (particularly as a concert opener) but seems to have fallen out of favor over the past few decades - as have orchestras, but that's beyond the scope of this meager blog. And don't get me started on the many symphony fiascos here in San Antonio over the past 6 years. Anyhoo, it's nice to hear Steppes again. It is a programmatic piece written in 1880 for an event to mark the 25th anniversary of the reign of Tsar Alexander II and dedicated to Franz Liszt. The composer himself provided the following program note:
In the silence of the monotonous steppes of Central Asia is heard the unfamiliar sound of a peaceful Russian song. From the distance we hear the approach of horses and camels and the bizarre and melancholy notes of an oriental melody. A caravan approaches, escorted by Russian soldiers, and continues safely on its way through the immense desert. It disappears slowly. The notes of the Russian and Asiatic melodies join in a common harmony, which dies away as the caravan disappears in the distance.However, it is an enjoyable 8 minutes whether you know the program or not. Fascinating side note: Borodin was a chemist and physician who wrote a little music in his spare time.
Islamey is a new piece for me. Originally written for piano in 1869, it is quite difficult and known as a virtuosic showpiece. The symphonic version heard on this disc was transcribed/arranged by Sergei Lyapunov. We're treated to three brief sections: 1) Allegro agitato, very busy and intense, 2) Tranquillo – Andantino espressivo, a slower, more romantic section that introduces a new legato theme, and 3) Allegro vivo – Presto furioso, which returns to the main theme. An exciting listen but I imagine is even more fun to perform.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: For more on my initial adventures with SACD, check out this earlier Béla Bartók post.
Previously revisited for the blog:
Scheherazade/Capriccio Espagnol/Russian Easter Overture (1995 compilation)
Scheherazade (1994) Ernest Ansermet L'Orchestra De La Suisse Romande (Ansermet)
Scheherazade/Capriccio Espagnol (1984) Orchestre symphonique de Montréal (Dutoit)
No comments:
Post a Comment