
This is one of the few albums I remember listening to as a small child; I suspect we probably had the LP in our house because my mother had a crush on Glen Campbell. But as a 6 or 7 year old kid developing a hunger for music, I enjoyed it to the point I eventually picked up this CD copy purely for nostalgia's sake. And I'm not disappointed.
Press of the time:
- Billboard: "lusty western-styled score"
- CashBox: "The music is rugged, melodic, and highly compelling"
- Record World: "Come Oscar time, this music will be way up front for award consideration"
Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #77
Tracks: Glen Campbell had a role in this movie and sang the title song. It was a successful single, peaking at #35 pop, #9 country, and #7 easy listening on the Billboard charts. It was also nominated for an Oscar in the category of Best Original Song, eventually losing to Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head. The title song is so good, in fact, it appears twice on the very brief, 26 minute album. Plus, its melody is used occasionally on some of the other tracks. There's not much country or western here, to be honest, unless they had B-3 organs, vibraphones, and drum kits roaming around Arkansas in the 1880s. Other than the title song, the whole thing is late '60s overblown, variety showish, cheesy pop crossover music and I love it. I find it catchy as hell and more melodic than it has any right to be. Plus, it brings a smile to my face. What more could I possibly ask for?
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: see above

No comments:
Post a Comment