Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 7, 2024

Dave Holland Quartet - Extensions (1990)


I picked up this used disc at the local Half Price Books simply because it was on the ECM label. I also recognized several names on the cover including Holland, Kevin Eubanks, and Marvin "Smitty" Smith, the latter two were playing in The Tonight Show band at the time of this release. This music, however, bears little resemblance to anything that was played during the commercials of Jay Leno's show. The critics liked it (see below), but it's a little too avant-garde for my tastes. I like my ECM releases a bit more...what's the word I'm looking for...atmospheric? relaxed? conjunct? ambient? moody? I'm not saying it's bad - Eubanks, in particular, brings his A game throughout the album - it's just not my bag, man.

Holland - bass
Steve Coleman - Alto Saxophone
Kevin Eubanks - guitar
Marvin "Smitty" Smith - drums

Reviews/ratings:
  • DownBeat (★★★★★) : "stretched to the breaking point with engaging sounds"
  • Musician: "These guys git it."
  • Billboard: "a first-rate all-star session."
  • New York Times: "an often brilliant album"
  • The Penguin Guide to Jazz (5th ed., 2000): ★★½
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★★
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★★

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Jazz: #6

Tracks: My top pick is track 2, Processional, written by Holland.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Selected Recordings :rarum X (2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment