Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Luscious Jackson - Naked Eye (1996)


CD single

Back in 1996-97 - spurred on by Scott, a close friend since junior high - I went through a dance/disco phase in which I purchased a lot of dance CDs, both full albums and CD singles. I liked Naked Eye so much I bought the Fever In Fever Out CD without batting an eye. To my recollection, none of the other tracks measured up to Naked Eye so that CD wasn't on my shelves for very long. Heck, I probably just gave the thing to Scott. Fast forward a couple of decades and I see this single in the clearance bin and figure it's worth $1.

Billboard single chart peaks:
  • Hot 100: #36
  • Adult Top 40: #33
  • Modern Rock Tracks: #18
  • Mainstream Top 40: #24

It didn't place on the dance chart, so I guess it's "officially" more of a rock track than a dance track but that's not how I'll remember it. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I didn't care for the album: it was rock when I was expecting dance. Now that I (re)listen to the tune, it's more of an attempt to blend rock and hip-hop. But it's easy to dance to, nonetheless, and I really dig the chorus hook with its backing vocals and simple but effective arrangement/instrumentation.


Tracks:
  1. Radio Edit (4:10)
  2. Totally Nude Mix (5:12)
  3. Suntan Knee-Hi Mix - Instrumental (4:38)
In this case, the order of play is also my order of preference.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: see above

No comments:

Post a Comment