Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas Extraordinaire (2001)


This CD recently arrived at my home in a batch of other used CDs. I've never heard it before and, to be honest, today is likely the only time I'll spin it. This was the group's fourth Christmas album and if it ain't broke don't fix it. As allmusic states: "There's a good chance if you enjoy other Mannheim holiday albums you'll enjoy this one. It's not one of the group's more noteworthy releases, but it should please Mannheim's devoted following." Group leader Chip Davis certainly likes to recycle ideas, but it's not plagiarism if you're stealing from yourself, is it?

Let's check in with the fine reviewers over at Amazon and get their thoughts:
  • My Mom plays it all the time.
  • I fear Chip will be joining that status of the Branson Missouri Christmas in July dinner theater crowd.
  • I work at a library and have recommended this
  • Look this Christmas music.
  • got this for my new phone.

I've given MS plenty of listens - first while I was in college and very occasionally since - and the group's brand of cheesy musical pablum is just not my bag. I'll stick with Guaraldi, Karen, Phil, JD, Conniff, etc. for my holiday enjoyment. But this album has been certified triple platinum (over 3 million sold) so what do I know?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #5
Peak on the US Billboard Holiday Albums chart: #1
Peak on the US Billboard Top New Age Albums chart: #1

Tracks:

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:

Previously revisited for the blog:
Romantic Melodies (2003)

1 comment:

  1. The first three MS Xmas albums were perennial sellers at the store I managed. We hated them.
    That said, "Velvet Tear" from the second Fresh Aire album is one of my favorite pieces of all time.

    ReplyDelete