Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Mannheim Steamroller - Romantic Melodies (2003)


This CD arrived at my home in a batch of other used CDs. I've never heard it before and today is likely the only time I'll spin it. From what I've read, Chip Davis went back to grab some old melodies from the Fresh Aire series and give them some new settings. As allmusic states: "If you like your mood music bleak and lifeless, then this disc of romantic maladies is an ideal selection." To these ears, it sounds like New Age background music from a yoga DVD. Namaste.

Let's check in with the fine reviewers over at Amazon and get their thoughts:
  • I use these selections in my massage practice
  • it be honest i haven't listened to it yet [sic]
  • If you just like music for the sake of music, it is a great album. (ed. note - wha??)
  • It is the kind you can use for giving to friends in a special situation. (ed. note - wha??)
  • I am almost totally deaf in my left ear, and so music with words is wasted on my ears. (ed. note - wha??)

If you want romantic background music for your next candlelight dinner, might I suggest Diana Krall, Sade, or The Breithaupt Brothers instead?

Do yourself a favor and instead of listening to this CD, educate yourself on where the group's name originated. The Mannheim school of composers were quite innovative in the 18th century. My favorite compositional innovation by the group was not the roller, but the Mannheim rocket. More here.

It's 7:30 AM and this CD has me primed for a nap.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #41
  • Billboard Independent: #1
  • Billboard New Age: #1

Tracks:

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:

No comments:

Post a Comment