Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, November 30, 2019

JD McPherson - Socks (2018)


"... wouldn't sound out of place blasting out of a 1949 Mercury, or a turntable next to a flamingo pink Christmas tree." - Matt Collar, Allmusic

A few friends recommended this album to me last year shortly after release. Worn down by their nagging (jk), I streamed the thing and immediately fell in love. Back when I had a Facebook account (don't get me started), I posted a declaration that Socks was the Christmas album of the year for 2018. I haven't heard anything better yet in 2019, so it retains the top spot again this year.

Incorporating Christmas-ish instruments such as celeste and glockenspiel to his '50s-inspired r&b/rockabilly, McPherson has created a set of Christmas originals that sound as if they've been around my entire life. Hooks a'plenty and witty lyrics. Git ya some.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 11 tracks in 33 minutes - yes, it's too short and the only way to combat the brevity is to immediately spin the disc again. All 11 tracks are winners and would be welcome additions to any Christmas playlist/mixtape/shuffle.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This CD has not left the 6 disc CD player in our family's SUV in 2019. Yes, our SUV has a CD player - why wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment