Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis (1988)


"LOST SUMMER OF MARK" WEEK (AUGUST 14-20, 2022)

German import CD single

A sample-heavy dance track in the same vein as Pump Up the Volume by M/A/R/R/S. Catchy as hell. Cashbox magazine liked the track's big beat while Billboard called it "a dance-floor pleaser." An incomplete list of all the samples is available over at Wikipedia (so consider the source) but includes such uncompensated artists as Afrika Bambaataa, Prince, Public Enemy, Kurtis Blow, Bar-Kays, and of course, James Brown.

Peak on the US Billboard Dance Club Play Chart: #1
Peak on Billboard 12" singles sales chart: #27

Tracks: this CD single contains 4 mixes of Beat Dis; track one is the best.
  1. Extended Dis (5:49)
  2. Radio Edit (3:50)
  3. Bonus Beats (5:09)
  4. Gangster Boogie Inc. Remix (4:56)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My girlfriend at the time bought the cassingle of Beat Dis and immediately put it into heavy rotation in her convertible's tape deck. I probably went dancing in clubs more in the summer of 1988 than all my other years combined and this track was popular in the clubs we visited. The only club name I can remember is Sparx, but there were plenty around the DFW area.

Speaking of clubs and that girlfriend, we were at some dance club on upper Greenville Ave. in Dallas when she got hit on by another guy as I stepped away to get us drinks. She turned him down, but when I didn't get suitably unsettled by the other guy's actions and mere existence, she got upset with my inaction and that quickly ruined the remainder of the evening. I guess she wanted me to punch him and put him in his place for making an honest mistake? I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Previously revisited for the blog: None, but here's plenty more of cuts that quickly bring back memories of that summer: Plus a few others to come this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment