Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.
Monday, April 25, 2011
Information Society - What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy) (1988)
One of the best one-hit wonders of the '80s. If you can stand the dated sound, it's hard to sit still when it comes on. It's a potent dance track. That said, 5 remixes clocking in at 29 minutes is a lot of one song. Bonus points for its inclusion in the movie American Psycho.
1. Club Mix - the basic single extended to 8 minutes by adding a 4 minute drum break.
2. The 54 Mix - basically 5 minutes of the drum track. Great for karaoke.
3. Percapella - just the opposite of the preceding mix. Almost all vocals with a light dusting of percussion. No bass or keyboards.
4. Pure Energy Mix -the single mix you remember from the radio. This is the track that gets ripped to iTunes.
5. What's On Your Dub Mix - As far as extended dance remixes go, this one's not bad. Too bad I'm too worn down by the previous 4 tracks to enjoy it.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Reminds of clubbing in the summer of 1988, particularly a club on upper Greenville Ave. Can't remember the name. Maybe it will come to me later. City Limits?