Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Various Artists - Disco Hits, Vol. 1 (1992)


I recently rescued this from a used bin simply because of three words: "Rhino Special Disco." Then I discovered that "Special Editions" meant budget-priced, measly 10 tracks, and no liner notes - ain't nothin' special 'bout that. I was initially disappointed, but I buy Rhino comps when I see them, there's not a stinker on here, and three of the ten tracks are new to my CD collection, so my disappointment was short-lived, sort of like this CD's total playing time.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, with both Billboard Disco and Pop Chart peaks and links to previous appearances on this blog. (Note: Billboard began disco/dance chart on October 26, 1974)
SongArtist
Year
Disco
Hot 100
Prev.
The HustleVan McCoy19741611, 2, 3
Rock Your BabyGeorge McCrae 1974-1
Get Dancin'Disco Tex & The Sex-O-Lettes 19743101, 2
Party DownLittle Beaver 1974--
Rockin' ChairGwen McCrae 1975-91
Get Down TonightKC & The Sunshine Band 19751111
More More MoreAndrea True Connection 1976-41
That's Where The Happy People GoThe Trammps 1976127
Fly, Robin, FlySilver Convention 1975111, 2
That's The Way I Like ItKC & The Sunshine Band 19751811, 2, 3, 4

If you had asked me if George McCrae's Rock Your Baby was on already on my CD shelves, I would have scoffed. Shows what I know. Plus we get the "sequel" to that song, sung by by Gwen, his wife. Maybe they should have sequenced those back to back? And, while both quality dance tunes, why have two cuts from KC on the same volume?


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but the music reminds me of my elementary school days in the Chihuahuan Desert. Been thinking more about those years recently as I have reconnected with a school classmate who now lives nearby. We hadn't seen in each other in 43 years and now we get together for coffee every month or so. I think social media will ultimately end our civilization, but it's not all bad when it creates reunions such as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment