Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Various Artists - Pure Disco (1996)


Why? Because it's fun. It's very difficult to be in a bad mood when you listen to disco music. I'm not the only one who thinks so; this compilation was certified platinum (1,000,000+ sold) in 1998. Next time you find yourself in a bad mood, listen to the Gap Band sing Oops Upside Your Head.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #83

Tracks: 21 disco hits from the late '70s & early '80s. Included are 4 songs I don't remember from the '70s: I Need Your Lovin' by Teena Marie, Flashback by Imagination, Best Disco In Town by the Ritchie Family (which is absolutely horrid), and Cuba by the Gibson Brothers. Of the classics included here, my favorites are Dancing Queen by Abba, Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston, If I Can't Have You by Yvonne Elliman, and Got To Give It Up (Part One) by Marvin Gaye. Also included is the Grease Megamix consisting of the songs You The One That I Want, Greased Lighting, and Summer Lovin' from the movie Grease. My wife is a big Grease fan, so I'm sure that was a factor in the purchase of this CD. That, and my generally nostalgic nature.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was a naïve preteen/young teenager when these songs came out. I loved the music and I loved to dance. I had no idea about discotheque culture involving sex, drugs, and dancing. I just thought people went to discos to dance. Naïve, like I said. Because I moved in 1978, some of the tracks remind me listening to KRIG-AM in Odessa while others remind me of listening to KILT-AM in Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment