Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Various Artists - Pure Disco (1996)


Why? Because it's fun. It's very difficult to be in a bad mood when you listen to disco music. I'm not the only one who thinks so; this compilation was certified platinum (1,000,000+ sold) in 1998. Next time you find yourself in a bad mood, listen to the Gap Band sing Oops Upside Your Head.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #83

Tracks:

SongArtistHot 100Disco
YMCAVillage People22
CelebrationKool & The Gang11
Dancing QueenABBA1
Hot Stuff
Donna Summer
1
1
I Will SurviveGloria Gaynor11
You're The First...Barry White22
I Need Your Lovin'Teena Marie372
Knock on Wood
Amii Stewart
1
5
I Love the NightlifeAlicia Bridges52
FlashbackImagination

That's The Way (I Like It)KC & The Sunshine Band118
Best Disco in Town
Ritchie Family
17
1
If I Can't Have YouYvonne Elliman1
Oops Upside Your HeadGap Band10152
Love HangoverDiana Ross11
Cuba
Gibson Brothers
81
9
FunkytownLipps, Inc11
Got to Give It UpMarvin Gaye11
Don't Leave Me This WayThelma Houston11
I Feel Love (Rollo & Sister Bliss Monster Mix)
Donna Summer

9
The Grease MegamixJohn Travolta & Olivia Newton-John25

21 disco hits from the late '70s & early '80s. Of the classics included here, my favorites are Dancing Queen by Abba, Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston, If I Can't Have You by Yvonne Elliman, and Got To Give It Up (Part One) by Marvin Gaye. Also included is the Grease Megamix consisting of the songs You The One That I Want, Greased Lighting, and Summer Lovin' from the movie Grease. My wife is a big Grease fan, so I'm sure that was a factor in the purchase of this CD. That, and my generally nostalgic nature.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was a naïve preteen/young teenager when these songs came out. I loved the music and I loved to dance. I had no idea about discotheque culture involving sex, drugs, and dancing. I just thought people went to discos to dance. Naïve, like I said. Because I moved in 1978, some of the tracks remind me listening to KRIG-AM in Odessa while others remind me of listening to KILT-AM in Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment