Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Keith Jarrett - Personal Mountains (1989)


German import

It's difficult for me to pass up an ECM CD in the used bin, particularly when it is marked down to $1 as this particular CD was. This disc is a live album by Jarrett's 'European Quartet' recorded in 1979 in Tokyo and released in 1989. It has been written that "From note one Personal Mountains paints melodic vistas of great majesty wrapped in a bow of rarified execution." The playing is indeed spectacular, I just can't get into it until the last tracks. I've given the disc several spins, but overall, this one's not for me.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Of the five tracks here, I dig track 4, Innocence, which includes nice work from both Jarrett and bassist Palle Danielsson. There's also a CD-only bonus track, Late Night Willie, which has a pleasant, laid back groove to it.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Standards, Vol. 1 (1983)
The Köln Concert (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment