Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, October 2, 2021

Devo - New Traditionalists (1981)


A story about the album's title, taken from the informative book in the 33⅓ series, Freedom of Choice by Evie Nagy (2015):


Devo is a fantastic "shuffle" group - by that I mean that I always enjoy it when one of their tunes pops up when I'm shuffling through files on my phone or computer. However, a full album of their almost identic, neurotic tunes is difficult for me to sit through. But I've bought their albums anyway and if you think that sounds like a bit of a contradiction, you're correct. Anyway, when I say this Devo album sounds like a Devo album, you catch my drift.

Press of the Time:

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #23
  • CashBox: #24
  • Rolling Stone: #13

Tracks: 10 tracks, 33 minutes. The top tracks are Through Being Cool and the cynical Beautiful World. On a lower tier, I've got Pity You, Love Without Anger, and Race Of Doom. Then there's the rest.

Most CD reissues of the album include 3 - 6 bonus tracks, but my copy (2005) does not. Fortunately, I've got their fantastic cover of Working In The Coal Mine on the Heavy Metal soundtrack. (Here's where you scratch your head and wonder, "He doesn't like sitting through complete albums, but now this fool wants bonus tracks?" Yeah, I can't figure me out, either.)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Not so much the album in toto, but Through Being Cool reminds me of a summer church camp, previously mentioned here. During the 1984 edition of said camp, my small group leader, a 30-ish pastor from Dallas, tried desperately to relate to those in the group. He loved the video for Through Being Cool and would often quote lyrics from that song to me in an effort to find some commonality. Then again, he also liked the newly released She Bop and I'm guessing had no idea what Lauper was going on about.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Hits (1990)
Oh, No! It's Devo/Freedom Of Choice (1982/1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment