Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, September 27, 2021

Lava - Cruisin (1981)


EU Import

Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by this CD.

The wiki sez "Lava (established 1977 in Ă…rdal, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz-rock band, known from a series of recordings in the 1980s." This is pop music - a mix of yacht rock, smooth jazz, and lite disco. And if anybody has a better description, I'm certainly open to suggestions. Whatever you call, it certainly goes down easy. There's a couple of instrumental tracks, but apart from those all lyrics are sung in English.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Not released in US; peaked at #7 in the band's native Norway.

Tracks:

I'm not saying they're all derivative, but certain tracks remind me of certain other artists from around the same time. And I mean these as compliments. It's probably just me making such needless comparisons, but here ya go:
  1. Take Your Time - Maxus
  2. Give It Up - Angela Bofill
  3. Sunday Morning - George Benson
  4. Hideaway - Marilyn Scott
  5. The Ratter - Sadao Watanabe
  6. Cruisin - Peter Allen
  7. Easy Come, Easy Go - Patrice Rushen
  8. Sky Rocket - Lee Ritenour
  9. Tears In Your Eyes - Tom Scott

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Had this on vinyl, then paid way too much for a limited edition CD run from Preservation Records.

I had the album for quite some time before I noticed the firearm on the cover, which completely changed the message of the artwork. I wished I had never seen it, but too late now [shrug].

No comments:

Post a Comment