Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Todd Rundgren - Healing (1981)


"I think [Todd Rundgren] writes great religious music. He just doesn't have very many members of his church."
- Daryl Hall, Musician magazine, April 1982, p. 49

I was completely unfamiliar with this album until I came across the title while putting together an interactive list of every album on the Billboard Rock Albums Chart, March 1981 - September 1984. I'm guessing it is currently out-of-print as I had a some difficulty tracking down a copy. Critics called the work 'mystical' and 'spiritual' but skirted around the fact that this album is a prog-rock song cycle about the coming, life, and resurrection of Jesus Christ or, at the very least, a Christ-like character (right down to a baptism image for the cover art). Well, it's obvious to me that's the case, your mileage may vary. But even if I've completely missed the mark, there's no denying it's a concept album about the human condition. To wit:
  1. Healer - "Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice because the healer comes"
  2. Pulse - "I'm not afraid of the sound that calls me on like a siren singing in another world. Here comes a change."
  3. Flesh - "The law is the law for no man wrote the law. They who would change the law just abuse it."
  4. Golden Goose - "They say, he's got a special gift but I don't envy him at all."
  5. Compassion - "Get down on your knees, pray to heaven for compassion."
  6. Shine - "They are not ready but the hour is close at hand"
  7. Healing, Part I - "Listen for the sound...it's the breath of life"
  8. Healing, Part II - "Where you are going, you cannot take your body"
  9. Healing, Part III - "Be a guiding light. Let the cry that you've uncovered set the world aright"
Sure, I'm just cherry-picking lyrics here, but I think it sufficiently supports my thesis. This ain't no album about girls, cars, drinking, rockin', and break-ups.

Musically, it's a Rundgren album with all his familiar chord progressions and cadences. A one-man show, there's lots of synths, drum machines, and an uncharacteristic (I'm guessing) saxophone sound that is oddly soothing. I'm sure Rundgren considered this to be an experimental album, but what Rundgren album isn't? Unlike its successor, The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect, this album isn't an easy listen. In addition to the moody, atmospheric pieces, we get some xylophone counterpoint and synthesized polka sprinkled among the tracks. I have to be in exactly the right mood, turn off the phone, sit quietly, and actively listen (preferably with headphones). Fortunately, it is one of those album that rewards multiple listenings and I encourage you to invest the time.

Press of the time:
  • Trouser Press: "50-plus minutes of oozing, unfocused music"
  • Billboard: "eccentric rhythm patterns on side one and a mellow, moody three -part suite called "Healing" on side two"
  • CashBox: "A hypnotic, technically brilliant tour de force."
  • Record World: "will be welcomed by fans and AOR radio."
  • Rolling Stone (★★★★): "psychologically calming and intellectually invigorating"
  • Stereo Review: "I still can't find the slightest hint of a connection between what he does and music."
  • Smash Hits (6 out of 10): "What makes [Rundgren] a winner is his flair for a gorgeous, graceful tune and his consistently silky and listenable musicianship."


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #48
  • Billboard Rock: #15
  • CashBox: #51
  • Rolling Stone: #21

Tracks: The most obvious pop tune is track 5, Compassion, which charted at #48 on the new Billboard Rock Tracks chart.

I'm not sure if its just the actual music or just the suggestion of the suite title, but what was side 2 (tracks 7-9) is a suite titled Healing and I'll be jiggered if I don't feel oddly calm when it finishes. The Rolling Stone quote above about being "psychologically calming and intellectually invigorating" certainly hits the mark for me.

The original vinyl release of Healing included a bonus 7" single featuring the tracks Time Heals and Tiny Demons which are included here as tracks 10 and 11. Having a separate single was a good idea as the album finishes with the Healing suite and that's enough. Then if you (or, more likely, the record company execs) want a pop single, you've got that option. Time Heals was released as single and peaked at #107 on the Billboard 'Bubbling Under' chart and #18 on the above mentioned rock tracks chart. Rundgren created a promotional video made for Time Heals, which was the eighth music video to air on MTV during its launch on August 1, 1981. The song is great and the video is fantastic, particularly by 1981 "concert video in a foggy warehouse" standards. Heavy concept with Rundrgren putting himself into all sorts of paintings, including those by Dali and Magritte.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Longtime readers of this blog are aware that I buy a large number of used CDs. This disc was no exception - purchased via alibris over a year ago. I've never had a problem buying used CDs until this one hit my mailbox. Before I even opened the package, the smell of cigarette smoke was undeniable. I quickly dismantled the packaging, discarded the nicotine-stained jewel box and began airing everything out. For several weeks, I tried various remedies to rid that smell from the inserts and disc including baking soda, Febreeze, and coffee grounds. After at least a month of efforts, things finally became tolerable but I still stuck a dryer sheet in the jewel case before closing it up. Now I don't notice so much, but man-oh-man. It doesn't matter to me if you choose to smoke, but please don't do it around out-of-print CDs! Think of the children! I hope that's the last time that particular scenario presents itself. If not, at least now I've got a plan of action.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Very Best Of Todd Rundgren (1997)
The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment