Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth (1984)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD. The CD I listened to was not the 2009 remastered "Collector's Edition" reissue.

I loved The Golden Age of Wireless and at some point placed it at #5 on my list of the Top 82 Albums of 1982. To call this follow-up "highly anticipated" is an understatement and when it finally hit my turntable, I was underwhelmed. The writing just wasn't as strong. Sophomore slump? Perhaps. This album was more moody and I just wanted to dance? More likely. For what it's worth, I like it better now than I did in '84 but I had a lot going on then (see below).

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "Richer vocal and orchestral details attest to a broader palette"
  • Smash Hits (5 out of 10): "A real disappointment" 
  • CashBox: "vocals are as haunting as they are compelling."
  • Rolling Stone (★★★★): "Dolby clearly has the talent and the technical know-how to make music any shape he wants it."
  • Stereo Review: "elusive, exceedingly busy, and largely unapproachable"
  • Robert Christgau (C+): "his passion for texture subsumes what small knack he has for cruder, more linear devices."
  • High Fidelity: "Dolby's new songs seem flawed"

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #35
  • Billboard Rock: #40
  • CashBox: #20
  • Rolling Stone: #20

Tracks:
  1. Dissidents - I just can't wrap my head around the dichotomy here: is it a funk tune or an experimental synth tune with lots of production tricks? If it's supposed to be both, it doesn't really succeed for me. Matthew Seligman's bass steals the show here, as it does throughout the album.
  2. The Flat Earth - I dig the groove here and the focus seems to be on songwriting (with a just a touch of world music) rather than effects. I would have picked this as a subtle album opener, but they didn't ask me. 
  3. Screen Kiss - The verse has an ear-catching chord progression but the chorus doesn't have a discernible hook. This track is more about atmosphere than anything.
  4. White City - This energetic tune has always been my favorite track on the album. In fact, it's one of the few tunes I ever "purchased" from iTunes (I say "purchased" because, like many iTunes purchases, it eventually disappeared from my account after about 5 years. Don't get me started) Anyhoo, I like everything about this one, from the syncopated yelling going into the chorus, the bridge, even the silly monologue. And, of course, Seligman's work.
  5. Mulu The Rain Forest - pass
  6. I Scare Myself - a cover of a tune from Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks is pretty faithful to the original in everything but instrumentation. Also, Dolby has a better voice than Hicks. Didn't care for it much back in '84, but now I think it is one of the better tunes on the album (I'd rank it 3rd, maybe). Tasteful work by Dolby on piano and by Peter Thoms on Trombone.
  7. Hyperactive - chasing the chart success of She Blinded Me With Science and who could blame him? I think it's the second-best song on the album, but I imagine most teens figured Science as a one-off novelty tune which might explain why this follow-up only reached #62 on the Billboard Hot 100. Seems very out-of-place on this album, an afterthought. But now I get to dance. :)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I probably bought this album in or around April 1984, during the spring of my senior year in high school. At 17, I had the world on a string - warm weather, college scholarship, attractive prom date, successful academic and fine arts competitions/performances, steady work making $3.35/hour at Burger King, lots of senior parties, spring break trips, good health, great friends, and, ultimately, high school graduation. There's no way I could have hated any album I purchased around that time. Didn't listen to much? Yes. Hate? No way.

Previously revisited for the blog:
A Map of the Floating City (2011)
The Sole Inhabitant (2008)
12 x 12 Original Remixes (1999)
Retrospectacle: The Best Of (1994)
Astronauts & Heretics (1992)
Aliens Ate My Buick (1988)
The Golden Age of Wireless (1982)


No comments:

Post a Comment