Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thomas Dolby - Retrospectacle: The Best Of (1994)


GREATEST HITS WEEK (JANUARY 17-23, 2011)


For better or worse, Thomas Dolby will mainly be known in the US as the one hit wonder who sang She Blinded Me With Science. I'm sure that one song has provided him with a very comfortable life. I always felt that Dolby was underrated as a musician and songwriter (except for his lyric writing, which is mainly incoherent gibberish). Overall, these 16 songs are representative of all of the various music phases Dolby passed through during his early career, skipping over his soundtrack work for the 1986 movies Gothic and Howard The Duck.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: This CD introduced me to Dolby's early singles, Urges and Leipzig, both of which are very good. I was disappointed that he (or his label) didn't include White City from 1984's The Flat Earth. I haven't heard the songs from The Flat Earth in quite a while; the track Screen Kiss is much better than I remember it being. I've never been a big fan of ballads, but I've always thought that Airwaves is one of the best ballads of the 80s and maybe Dolby's best song. Also good is Hyperactive and Windpower. My least favorite cut from The Golden Age of Wireless, One Of Our Submarines, is also included here.

Singles ChartYearUKUS
Europa And The Pirate Twins19814867
Urges1981

Leipzig1981

Windpower198231
Airwaves (7" version)1982

She Blinded Me With Science1982495
One Of Our Submarines1982

Screen Kiss1984

Hyperactive!19841762
I Scare Myself198446
The Flat Earth1984

Pulp Culture1988

Budapest By Blimp1988

Cruel1992

Close But No Cigar199222
I Love You Goodbye199236

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None for this particular CD, which has pretty much been replaced over the past 17 years with purchases of the individual CDs to replace my old Dolby LPs and cassettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment