Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Thomas Dolby - 12 x 12 Original Remixes (1999)


UK Import

The 12 x 12 in the titles refers to the fact that this compilation has 12 tracks, most of which appeared on 12" singles in the '80s. Singles here were originally released 1981-1988. Surprisingly, I didn't have any Dolby 12" singles back in the '80s, so this is the first time I've heard many of these mixes. Good stuff. In addition to this release, EMI also issued 12x12 CDs for Talking Heads and Talk Talk. I should probably hunt those down.

Tracks: Among Dolby fans, I'm in the minority that doesn't care for One Of Our Submarines or Dissidents, so 7 minute versions aren't doing much towards changing my opinion of those songs. The best remixes belong to Flying North, Hyperactive!, and Airhead. Of course, there's also the extended version of She Blinded Me With Science. So far, this is the fifth CD on the blog that contains a version of that ubiquitous song. The other four are Retrospectacle, Ultimate New Wave Party 1998, Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 8, and 80's Hits Stripped. There are still more to come.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Retrospectacle: The Best Of (1994)
Aliens Ate My Buick (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment