Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Various Artists - Sedated in the Eighties, No. 4 (1995)


A week or so back, I posted about volume 3 of this series and read the following blurb about volume 4 in the middle of this post:
This disc is full of unreleased rarities: live versions, extended versions and b-sides.
So I immediately ordered my own copy because 1) I wanted to hear it, and 2) I have an eBay problem. I paid $4.95 which is a nickel shy of my five buck limit for used CDs on eBay, an arbitrary rule I often ignore. Even the liner notes promote the rarities:



As we'll discover, that isn't exactly true, but info wasn't as easy to find in 1995 as it is today. My usual attitude towards b-sides is "they're b-sides for a reason," but let's listen in and also check out if these are still rare in 2019.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks: 16 tracks, 68 minutes.
  1. Hanging On The Telephone (live) - Blondie (date unknown, unreleased Chrysalis Records master): since released on the 2001 CD reissue of Parallel Lines. A bit more urgent than the more familiar studio version, but it works (because who likes actually hanging on the telephone?).
  2. Why Is It So Hard? - Talk Talk (1984, from the First Born soundtrack): since released on several UK Talk Talk compilations. Along with a synth lick that screams "80s," Mark Hollis is in fine voice and the it's almost got a hook in the chorus, but it didn't make the group's first greatest hits compilation and that's easy to understand. I'll admit it gets better upon repeated listenings.
  3. Passion Planet - Thompson Twins (1984, b-side to You Take Me Up): since released on the 2008 expanded edition of Into The Gap. I dig this one. Tom Bailey sure can write some catchy grooves.
  4. Trading In Gold - China Crisis (1986, from the 12" Arizona Sky): was previously released on the 1986 CD version of What Price Paradise. It's just okay until about 2:17 when it moves into Haircut 100 territory and kicks up a notch.
  5. I'm The One - Missing Persons (1985, unreleased Capitol Records master): I can't find that this track has ever been released other than this CD. There's an uncredited male vocal that ain't terrible but it don't squeak like Dale Bozzio. Nonetheless, this is one of the group's better tunes - driving beat with a great guitar solo. I can't figure why it wasn't ever released (maybe it was around the time the band split?).
  6. Sense The Adventure - The Fixx (1986, from the 12" Secret Separation): was previously released on the album Walkabout (all formats). I don't like this tune until the chorus kicks in at 0:51 then I'm all in.
  7. Set The Killing Free - Aztec Camera (1984, b-side to Walk Out To Winter): since released on 2012 and 2014 re-releases of High Land, Hard Rain. I'll pass on this waltz/shanty that melodically reminded me at times of Billy Joel's Piano Man.
  8. Deeside (live) - The Alarm (1986, from the 12" Spirit of '76): since released on a couple of the band's compilation albums. It's intense and noisy, but nothing memorable.
  9. Satellite - The Tubes (1984, unreleased Capitol Records master): since released on the 2012 reissue of Outside Inside. I'm thinking this was recorded for Love Bomb because its got some Todd Rundgren touches on it. Better than average Tubes filler track - better than Sports Fans FWIW. Vocals by Bill Spooner, not Fee Waybill.
  10. Blue Period (acoustic) - The Smithereens (1989, from the cassingle Blue Period): since released in 2005 disc 21 on the group's limited edition 21 CD box set. And by acoustic, they mean the mix with no drums. Still, it's a great song (originally from the 11 album) and Belinda Carlisle's harmony vocals are some of the more tasteful, restrained efforts I've heard from her.
  11. Killing Time - The Motels (1983, b-side to Remember The Nights): I can't find that this tune has been released on CD other than this Sedated compilation. I love Martha Davis' voice, but the material here is definitely b-side. 
  12. Pharaohs - Tears For Fears (1985, b-side of Everybody Wants To Rule The World): since released on numerous discs including later deluxe editions of Songs From The Big Chair. An ethereal working of what could have been an alternate backing track to EWTRTR. It starts like an ambient shuffle track with masochistic snare drum until around 2:20 the guitar kicks in and then you say to yourself, "Haven't I heard this before somewhere?" I don't love it, but I won't skip it, either.
  13. A Pleasure (acoustic) - The Railway Children (1988, from the 12" Beyond Recurrence): since released on one of the band's 2002 CD singles. Just acoustic guitar and vocals performed live at a Boston radio studio. I have no memory of the band and in ten minutes will have no memory of this song.
  14. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Dream Academy (1985, from the home video, The Dream Academy): since released on several other compilations. If you're like me, you're familiar with this tune from the instrumental version's inclusion in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Better than the original IMHO. I also dig the lightweight folk pop of the group's 1985 s/t debut but that's neither here nor there. 
  15. Private Revolution (extended version) - World Party (1986, from the 12" Private Revolution): I can't find that this tune has been released on CD other than this Sedated compilation. A manic take on a fun tune. Thumbs up.
  16. No More Words (dance remix) - Berlin (1984, from the 12" of the same name): since released on a similar compilation and earlier on what looks to be a spectacular Japanese remix compilation CD of the band from 1987. Remix credited to Giorgio Moroder himself. Beats the hell out of the single version.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 3

No comments:

Post a Comment