Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Mackey Feary Band - From the Heart (1979)


Japanese Import

I'm not sure how I first stumbled across It's Okay, the lead track from this album, but I'm fairly confident social media had something to do with it. In any case, my initial reaction to the track was, "Wow, that's a total rip-off of Steely Dan's Peg!" But it's a very good rip-off and, like I always say, if you're going to steal, steal from the best. Based on the strength of that single, I ordered this CD.

I won't go into detail about Feary's tragic life, but I will mention that he was born and raised in Hawaii because that cultural background influenced his music. With the exception of two jazz fusion instrumental cuts, these songs are firmly planted in the adult-oriented rock genre of the late '70s, this would have fared better on a big label with some promotion. As it stands, I couldn't find anything written about the album from 1979 - heck, it doesn't even rate a mention on Allmusic; shame (FWIW, it is on discogs). Feary was obviously regional star, he just didn't have a very large region. I'm glad I ran across his stuff. Looks like this album is available on all the usual streaming sites, so if AOR is your thing*, check it out. If ya like it, then buy it, because we obviously support ownership of physical media product here at The CD Project™.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: my picks are It's Okay, Island Smile, Play the Game, Goodbye Friends, Jello, and Still There With You. However, the filler is all pleasant enough and while there are more ballads than I'd prefer, there are no skippable tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None


*It's not just for hipsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment