Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Down to the Bone - From Manhattan to Staten (1997)


Been a while since a DTTB acid jazz CD appeared on this blog, but I saw this disc sitting needlessly in the used CD bin recently and I rescued it without a second thought. The group's debut disc, it isn't quite as frenetic as their later releases, but it's still an pleasurable mix of instrumental funk and jazz. I dig.

It's strange album title for a British group, no?

I can't think of anything new to write about the group that I haven't already written, so let's see if I can find anything amusing in the reviews over on Amazon (where this disc is currently available for a penny):
  • Hot tunes for the dance floor and a non stop rhythem [sic]. Cruising on an interstate with this CD can be a joy as the music flows and flows. I first heard this song on, of all places, the Weather Channel. Those are my thoughts and thanks for reading.
  • this CD is "Off Da' Chain"...!!!
  • I got this for my brother. He loves it.
  • What can I say.
  • Where ever you are you can just stop and get out the car and dance. Some people will laugh, some will point, & some will stop by and join in with you. That's how good Manhattan to Staten CD is good.
  • easy to dance to on roller skates.
  • I could easily envision one of these songs on some soundtrack or on a car commercial.
  • like Dali in Soundscape.
  • Wish I had a longer drive to work!

Just noticed the back cover image is of the Staten Island Ferry in front of the World Trade Center towers. That was a gut punch. Damn.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Like all DTTB releases, they're all heavily grooved, they're all enjoyable, they're all danceable, and they all run together after a while. One of those groups where you can't name any of their tracks and you're lucky to remember an album title, but you enjoy the crap out of the music just the same. From what I can tell, the singles were the first two tracks, Staten Island Groove and Brooklyn Heights.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Future Boogie (2009)
Supercharged (2007)
Cellar Funk (2004)
Crazy Vibes and Things (2002)
The Urban Grooves (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment