Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

A Chorus Line - Original Cast Recording (1975)


Cuz it's a damn good musical and Hamlisch was at the top of his game.
  • 9 Tony Awards in 1976, including Best Musical
  • 5 Drama Desk Awards in 1976, including Outstanding Musical
  • A Special Tony Award in 1984 for becoming Broadway's longest-running musical
  • Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1976

Billboard, August 2, 1975, p. 56

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #98
  • CashBox: #118

Tracks: Top tracks for me are the stellar opener I Hope I Get It, I Can Do That, Nothing, Dance: 10 Looks 3, What I Did For Love, and One. Not a bad batting average. There's a guy that lives in this neighborhood who, on occasion, likes to sing showtunes such as these at the top of his lungs (someone of my general weight, height, and build).


Personal Memories Associated with this CD:
  1. In high school, I played marching band arrangements of One and What I Did For Love.
  2. I saw the movie version in 1985, bought the soundtrack LP (meh), fell in love with Janet Jones.
  3. In my circles, a popular keychain during the '80s was a brass replica of a Chorus Line ticket. I never had one because that looked like it might hurt when stuffed into a tight jeans pocket:


No comments:

Post a Comment