Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Various Artists - Billboard Top Album Rock Hits, 1984 (1997)


I had no idea this "Top Album Rock Hits" series even existed until I saw this languishing in the racks below the clearance bin a few weeks back - I bought it because it's a Rhino release and it was cheaper than cup of coffee. Since then, I discovered it was a short-lived, 4 disc series (I'm not on a mission to complete the series, but ya never know). The track selection speaks for itself but I'm very disappointed in the lack of liner notes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Most have already appeared on this blog, but let's take a look.
  1. We Belong - Pat Benatar (#3 Rock, #5 Pop)
    Also on the Rock On 1984 CD.
  2. A Fine, Fine Day - Tony Carey (#1 Rock, #22 Pop)
    If I've ever heard this one before, I'd forgotten it. It's a generic Eddie and the Bruce Cougar Mellensteen clone (which were all over the radio at the time). The sweet organ licks (no double entendre intended) are the best part.
  3. You Might Think - The Cars (#1 Rock, #7 Pop)
    Also on Original Album Series and Anthology: Just What I Needed.
  4. The Warrior - Scandal featuring Patty Smyth (#1 Rock, #7 Pop)
    A good tune, not a great tune ("bang, bang" as background lyrics? I think we can do better). I prefer Goodbye to You-era Scandal over later incarnations, but that's me. When this comes on the radio, there's a 50/50 chance of me switching stations.
  5. Sister Christian - Night Ranger (#2 Rock, #5 Pop)
    A fun tune to play air drums to, if nothing else. All the ladies loved this one, so I went along for the ride but I still have no idea what the song is about. I'm not a fan of power ballads, but if you insist on one, you can't do much better than this cut. Bonus points for the shape and build of the guitar solo.


  6. Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squier (#1 Rock, #15 Pop)
    Also on the Rock On 1984 CD.
  7. Middle of the Road - Pretenders (#2 Rock, #19 Pop)
    Also on Learning to Crawl. Today, I'm thinking this tune is giving Message of Love a run for my favorite Pretenders song.
  8. Are We Ourselves? - The Fixx (#1 Rock, #15 Pop)
    Also on Ultimate Collection.
  9. Girls - Dwight Twilley (#2 Rock, #16 Pop)
    Also on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 13.
  10. Leave It - Yes (#3 Rock, #24 Pop)
    Also on 90125 and The Definitive Rock Collection.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment