Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Herb Alpert - Passion Dance (1997)


I gave up on Alpert after Beyond, so this is "comeback album" of sorts for me. And I love it: high -energy and Latin-flavored (thanks to the collaboration of bassist/keyboardist/producer Oskar Cartaya). It took me a while to figure out why I like it so much and then it hit me: the flavor/groove of this album reminds me of Spyro Gyra. This ain't TJB or Rise or ill-advised dance tunes with Janet Jackson, Alpert was moving on and he scored a (lonely) bullseye here. ;-)


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the US Billboard Contemporary Jazz Albums chart: #7

Tracks: I dig the first nine tracks, especially TKO, Slinky, the cover of Stevie Wonder's Creepin, ¿QuĂ© Pasa Mr. Jones?, and Baila Conmigo (Dance With Me). The final track is an odd updating of Alpert's 1982 Top 40 instrumental, Route 101 and they shoulda left that one alone. It's not terrible, but what's the point?

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None



Previously revisited for the blog:
Classics, Volume 1 (1987)
Beyond (1980)
Rise (1979)
What Now My Love (1966)

No comments:

Post a Comment