Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)


It didn't get much better than Stevie Wonder in the '70s.
Exhibit A: Music Of My Mind
Exhibit B: Talking Book
Exhibit C: Innervisions
I could go on and enter Fulfillingness' First Finale and Songs In The Key Of Life into evidence, but I think I've made my prima facie case. Res ipsa loquitur.

Social commentary never got so funky. Stevie plays darn near every instrument, but it's mainly electric piano, Moog bass and Stevie's passionate voice. And while he's preaching for social justice, you get the feeling that Stevie truly believes there's no problem that can't be fixed with love. Stevie's been preaching the gospel of love since the get-go and it's a theme throughout his career's work.

3 Grammy Awards: Album of the Year, Best Engineered Recording Non-Classical, Best Rhythm & Blues Song for Living For The City. Update: In its 2020 list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Rolling Stone ranked Innvervisions at #34.

Press of the time:


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #4
Peak on Billboard R&B albums chart: #1 (2 weeks)

Tracks:  Don't skip anything, but I'm always drawn to the hits on this one - Living For The City (#8 pop, #1 R&B), Higher Ground (#4 pop, #1 R&B, #41 AC), and Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing (#16 pop, #2 R&B, #9 AC). I'm also digging the beautiful ballad Visions and the funky Jesus Children Of America.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm trying to pick one out, but when an artist is a huge part of the soundtrack of your life, that task can prove to be difficult. But it does suggest that when I was 7, I was the funkiest kid in the neighborhood:

Heading for "Higher Ground" in '73
My wife is suggesting that my ringtone on her phone should be He's Mistra Know-It-All. Such a kidder, that one.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Song Review: A Greatest Hits Collection (1996)
In Square Circle (1985)
Songs In The Key Of Life (1976)
Talking Book (1972)
Music Of My Mind (1972)
Someday At Christmas (1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment