Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Incognito - Adventures In Black Sunshine (2004)


A solid album of funky acid jazz with a strong '70s soul/disco vibe. Definitely hard to sit still while listening. A few too many vocal tracks for my tastes, but group mastermind Jean-Paul "Bluey" Maunick's influences (Stevie Wonder, EW&F, War, etc.) are readily apparent and appreciated. In fact, I would guess vocalist Tony Momrelle was recruited because, at times, he sounds like Stevie Wonder. Acid jazz never really caught on in the US like it probably should have, but the genre's impression on today's popular smooth/urban jazz sound is evident.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Today I'm grooving on Everything Your Heart Desires, The 25th Chapter, Mindin' My Business which features a touch of Hohner Clavinet as well as great keyboard work on the Fender Rhodes by George Duke. I also like how they take The Doobie Brothers' Listen To The Music and completely deconstruct it. I dislike and discourage straight ahead cover versions and this is anything but.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Best of Incognito (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment