Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend (1984)


Note: the CD I listened to was not the 2002 Deluxe Edition reissue.

"It is perfect" - Stephen Thomas Erlewine's allmusic review

As the weather heats up, out comes the reggae music. You probably bought this compilation when you were in college. I recently watched the 2012 documentary about Marley and, despite its length, recommend it to you. Most all the lyrics on this album are about politics, Rastafarianism, or Trenchtown culture. But to me, the lyrics aren't nearly as important as the simple but infectious reggae upbeat feel that grooves this entire album. It's the best-selling reggae album of all time and ranked at #48 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time (2020). If you only have one reggae album, might as well be this one. If it is indeed your only reggae album, I hope that it serves as a gateway drug for other reggae music.

Marley is mentioned on the Stuff White People Like blog. Favorite line: "be warned that a white person saying they like 'reggae' what they really mean is 'reggae from 1965-1983.'" Hilariously true and I plead guilty.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Upon its release in '84, it peaked at #54. It returns to the charts every so often and has since peaked at #18. As of this writing, it has spent a total of 265 weeks on the chart and currently sits at #126.
  • Billboard R&B: #34
  • CashBox: #41
  • Rolling Stone: #36

Tracks:  Love 'em all. Today my favorites are Could You Be Loved, Stir It Up, One Love, and Jamming.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  My wife and I went on a cruise back in the spring of 2006. There was a reggae band that would play by the pool from time to time. Naturally, their set lists were heavy on Marley tunes and I remember being amazed that all the college kids on the cruise were singing along and knew every word of the lyrics. I don't know why that surprised me.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Uprising (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment