Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Duncan Sheik - Humming (1998)


This is one of the CDs in my collection that I never gave a chance. I liked Sheik's debut album and the fantastic single Barely Breathing so I wanted more of the same or better. Unfortunately, like many sophomore releases, the songwriting here isn't as good as on the debut. This 1998 album is also quite a bit noisier than the first and I guess that was enough for me not to listen to it much. I liked the quiet moodiness of the earlier release. How dare an artist try a new sound without checking with me first.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #163

Tracks:  The first three tracks are pretty good, including the non-charting single Bite Your Tongue, then things start falling apart with Alibi which never really goes anywhere. Of the other tracks, I only like Everyone Everywhere. The worse tracks are Nichiren and the Jeff Buckley tribute song A Body Goes Down. And don't get me started on the dreaded hidden track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Reasons for Living (1997)
Duncan Sheik (1996)

No comments:

Post a Comment