Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Chet Atkins - Sails (1987)


Chet Atkins' guitar playing is consistently top-notch, so I can't call this album a disappointment. However, since I bought it solely on the strength of his excellent 1985 crossover album Stay Tuned, I will say that this didn't meet my expectations. Where the earlier album was a combination of smooth jazz & pop, this release is more a combination of slow to mid-tempo easy listening and new age noodling. Since the songwriting and production is so bland, I have to focus on Atkins' incredible technique and tone to get any enjoyment from this one. It's not terrible, it's just not what I was hoping for.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  They're all innocuous. Waltz For The Lonely is very nice. The only track that would have fit on the Stay Tuned album would be Laffin' At Life.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Stay Tuned (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment