Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chet Atkins - Stay Tuned (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

I'm not sure what led me to buy this LP in 1985 (it was probably a review in a magazine or newpaper), but I've enjoyed the music a great deal over the last 25+ years. I always considered Atkins to be a country music guitarist, but this release is more smooth jazz, almost easy listening. For this release, Atkins got together with some fantastic session musicians, including many members of the band Toto. He also invited Larry Carlton, George Benson, Mark Knopfler, Steve Lukather, and Earl Klugh, to come play guitar with him. It's a mixed bag, but Atkins guitar work is, as always, tasteful and restrained.


This was the first time I noticed Atkins using the "C.G.P." following his name. I initially believed those initials stood for "Country Guitar Player" which I thought had a sort of folksy charm to it. I've since discovered that the initials represent "Certified Guitar Player." According to the following online article, Atkins bestowed this title upon himself and four other guitarists: http://musicrow.com/2011/11/guitarist-paul-yandell-passes/

Chart Peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200 chart: #145
  • Billboard Jazz LPs chart: #12
  • CashBox album chart: #130
  • CashBox Jazz Albums chart: #17
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay Chart: #11

Tracks: I've listened to this so many times, I don't skip any tracks. All 10 are good. If there's any complaint, it would be the 37 minute playing time. Track 7, Cosmic Square Dance, won a Grammy Award for Best Country Instrumental Performance for Atkins and Mark Knopfler.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Music from this album provided a portion of my soundtrack for the summer of 1985, one of the best summers of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment