Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians with Al Pierson - 2000 Concert and Dance (1999)


"LET'S GET IT OVER WITH" WEEK (OCTOBER 15-21, 2012)

Many of the big bands from the early part of the last century live on today, if only in name. Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians were a dance band renown mainly for his New Year's Eve specials from the 1960's through the '80s. In 1989, Al Pierson took up the baton of the group with the blessings, and a long-term contract, from the Lombardo family. I've met Al Pierson and he's a great guy and good musician, but this music just isn't my thing.

Tracks:  Auld Lang Syne, naturally.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I think I've previously mentioned that I worked with an arts presenting group in the late '90s and early 00's. I would book touring acts and bring them to our little town. In 2001, in addition to our usual concert series, I brought in the Glenn Miller Orchestra and had a dinner and dance. It was a big hit with the over-60 crowd and I tried to replicate it the next year. On Friday, April 19, 2002, The Royal Canadians played for the same crowd. That year's event wasn't quite as successful, but it really didn't matter, as the arts presenting group had already decided to dissolve following the 2001-02 season. Mr. Pierson gave me this CD the night of the band's performance. As of this writing, he and the band are still performing: http://www.alpiersonmusic.com/

I've never been much of a late night guy, but as a child, I would try to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. I rarely made it that late, but when I did, my reward was listening to Guy Lombardo?

No comments:

Post a Comment