Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

George Winston - Linus & Lucy: The Music of Vince Guaraldi (1996)


This solo piano CD is a tribute from one great pianist to another. It does a great job capturing the musical essence of both men. While I was familiar with Guaraldi's work from the Peanuts cartoons, this CD introduced me to more his compositions. Guaraldi usually performed with a trio (piano, bass, drums), so these solo piano recordings sometimes seem like they're missing a little something, but Winston's style and virtuosic playing often makes up for it. Every now and then, I'll notice Winston throwing in some embellishment or passing tones and it always works; it sounds like it's always been there. Winston, however, never sacrifices Guaraldi's characteristic piano voicing. Classic. Winston recorded and released a second volume of Guaraldi tunes in 2010, entitled Love Will Come, but I haven't heard any of that music yet.

Billboard, October 12, 1996

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #55
Peak on the CashBox Jazz Albums chart: #1

Tracks: Linus & Lucy is classic, of course, as is any of the music from the 16(!) Peanuts cartoons that Guaraldi scored before his death in 1976. The CD starts off with one of my fav Guaraldi compositions, Cast Your Fate to the Wind, which I think you would probably recognize even though it was never in a Charlie Brown cartoon.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In the late '90s, my friend Scott introduced me to this CD, which he couldn't praise enough. When I finally picked up a used copy, I was upset that I hadn't purchased it earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment