Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Higher And Higher: The Best of Heaven 17 (1993)


A decent compilation of tracks from the band's first 4 albums. There's no logic to the sequencing, but I've almost come to expect that from "best of" compilations. I had H17's first 3 albums on vinyl, but thought their 1984 release, How Men Are, was so weak compared to its excellent predecessor, The Luxury Gap, that I didn't bother buying subsequent releases. No tracks from the group's fifth album, the unfortunately titled Teddy Bear, Duke & Psycho (1988), made the cut for this CD. I've yet to replace How Men Are with a CD, and this CD contains some good remixes, so this compilation is still needed to fill a small gap in my collection. Normally people look at collections such as these when they are looking to sample a band's work, but if I were to recommend a H17 album, I'd have people start with The Luxury Gap rather than recommending any of the group's compilations.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:
SongOriginal Album
Temptation (Brothers In Rhythm Remix)The Luxury Gap
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Rapino Edit)Penthouse and Pavement
Let Me GoThe Luxury Gap
Come Live With MeThe Luxury Gap
This Is MineHow Men Are
I'm Your MoneyHeaven 17 (US release)
Play To WinPenthouse and Pavement
And That's No LieHow Men Are
ContendersPleasure One
We Live So FastThe Luxury Gap
Sunset NowHow Men Are
TroublePleasure One
Height of the Fighting (He-La-Hu)Penthouse and Pavement
Penthouse and Pavement (Tommy D's Master Remix)Penthouse and Pavement
Crushed By The Wheels Of IndustryThe Luxury Gap
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Original Version)Penthouse and Pavement
Temptation (Original Version)The Luxury Gap

My favorite H17 song is Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry but Temptation is a very close second.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  This was the first Heaven 17 CD I ever purchased. About a year after I bought it, I took it to my ten year high school reunion where I was quickly reminded that I was the only one in my high school class that listened to Heaven 17 in the early '80s. To be fair to my classmates, the closest thing H17 ever had to a US Top 40 hit was when their single Let Me Go peaked at #74.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Before After (2005)
Retox/Detox (1998)
Bigger Than America (1996)
Endless (1986)
The Luxury Gap (1983)
Penthouse and Pavement (1981)

1 comment:

  1. Have a promo stamped version of this CD and no idea how it came into the fold. Do not care for the modern remixes one bit and I already had all the other songs so the disc never gets the call up.

    Know for a fact I was not the only Heaven 17 head in high school though I've managed to dodge all of our reunions so I cannot say if it would get played or not.

    I'll concede that How Men Are was somewhat weaker than The Luxury Gap but it was not "so weak". Ouch. Potato, potato.

    ReplyDelete