Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Various Artists - Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 7 (1990)


Disc 7 of 25. Even though we're already 7 volumes into this '70s retrospective series, we're only in the first years of the decade. Volume 7 contains singles that peaked on the charts in late '71 through early '72. This isn't the weakest volume in the series, but it's far from being the strongest.

Tracks:
  • Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels (#6 in October 1971)
    A fun, loping rock romp with a easily singable chorus that often comes to mind whenever I or somebody else says "do you know what I mean?".
  • Hallelujah - Sweathog (#33 in December 1971)
    I don't remember this song, the group's only Top 40 single. Typical early '70s rock - I don't mind it, but I'm not going looking for it, either. If you're an aspiring bass player and you can play one note, this song might be a good choice for your first cover song. (I'm joking, of course. I count at least 3 different bass notes)
  • One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack) - Coven (#26 in November 1971)
    I've never seen the movie Billy Jack, but this song brings back bad childhood memories of church camp. It could be a decent song for peaceniks, but I just can't stomach it because of the association with the "forced socialization" of camp singalongs. Pardon me while I make an appointment with my therapist...
  • Brand New Key - Melanie (#1 in December 1971)
    Previously heard on AM Gold: Radio Gems. Here's what I wrote then: "I can't stand this singer's voice. The roller skate and key is rather Freudian, no?" #1?? Seriously, America?
  • Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards (#4 in January 1972)
    I recognize this one from radio - I never knew the title or artist until I picked up this CD. Another one I can take or leave [shrug].
  • White Lies, Blue Eyes - Bullet (#28 in January 1972)
    A good rocker in the same vein as Blood, Sweat, & Tears. I like. Nice vocal harmonies and horn parts make up for the weak guitar solo. I might steal the song title for my memoirs.
  • The Witch Queen of New Orleans - Redbone (#21 in February 1972)
    I liked the group's later hit, Come And Get Your Love, but I'll pass on this one as it sounds like a CCR knock-off with awful string parts.
  • Don't Say You Don't Remember - Beverly Bremers (#15 in February 1972)
    The liner notes calls Bremers a Carpenters sound-alike. Good call. I dig this song despite its depressing lyrics.
  • Joy - Apollo 100 featuring Tom Parker (#6 in February 1972)
    Sure its cheesy, but there's such a thing as good cheese, right? Based on a section of a Bach cantata, its not a bad arrangement, especially when compared to later "updatings" of classical works. I'm looking at you, Hooked On Classics. I'm a kid that grew up playing with Billy Blastoff toys, so I think Apollo 100 is a sweet band name.
  • Precious and Few - Climax (#3 in February 1972)
    I love this piece even though I think it's a complete rip-off of Cherish by The Association (which I also love). Singing along now as I write these words. My favorite song on this disc.
  • Softly Whispering I Love You - The English Congregation (#29 in March 1972)
    Dahell is dis?
  • Son of My Father - Giorgio (#46 in April 1972)
    Producer and composer Giorgio Moroder went on to have huge success with movie soundtracks, Donna Summer, et al, and is generally regarded as a groundbreaker in electronic dance music (check out the tribute on Daft Punk's Random Access Memories). This isn't the greatest song, but you can see where he was headed, so it's interesting from a historical perspective.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My sister got the sheet music for the aforementioned Bach piece and played incessantly when she was practicing piano.

Previously revisited for the blog:

2 comments:

  1. As always, we're in some disagreement on these tracks but pretty much simpatico regarding the disc - it is lame.

    Only seven more to go...

    I'll give it some points for featuring two songs from the excellent Boogie Nights soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to concur - volume 7 did have its share of weaker tracks. I was only six or seven at the time most of these songs charted. The ones that are still heard today are the ones that managed to remain memorable.

    ReplyDelete