Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Various Artists - Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 6 (1990)


Disc 6 of 25. This disc contains singles that peaked on the charts between July 1970 - November 1971. Many of the artists are Canadian, so maybe Rhino was trying to put together a theme disc. In my opinion, this is one of the weaker volumes of the series.

Tracks:
  • Go Back - Crabby Appleton: Peaked at #36 in July 1970.  This song may have been released in 1970, but it's definitely rooted in the '60s,  right down to the psychedelic guitar licks.  Definitely of its time, this isn't really my thing.  The band's only hit, earning them one-hit wonder status.
  • Timothy - The Buoys: Peaked at #17 in May 1971.  A song deliberately written to get banned, based on a theme of cannibalism.  Seriously.  Songwriter Rupert Holmes would go on to have a bigger hit in 1979 with Escape (The Pina Colada Song).  I can do without this one. 
  • Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins: Peaked at #9 in July 1970. A novelty song with a gravelly voice rapping over a ragtime piano.  And that makes us 0-for-3 on this disc.
  • Oh Me Oh My (I'm A Fool For You Baby) - Lulu:  Peaked at #22 in March 1970. Ah, that's more like it.  Some good UK blue-eyed soul in the same vein as Dusty Springfield. My palette is pleasantly cleansed.
  • He's Gonna Step On You Again - John Kongos:  Peaked at #70 in August 1971.  A fairly decent upbeat knock-off of The Beatles' song Come Together with some Burundi drumming looped in the background. 
  • Tarkio Road - Brewer & Shipley:  Peaked at #55 in June 1971. The duo's follow-up to One Toke Over The Line.  Harmless folk rock, but nothing I'd seek out to listen to.
  • Signs - Five Man Electrical Band: Peaked at #3 in August 1971.  This song gets plenty of airplay on the local classic rock station, but I'm more familiar with Tesla's 1990 acoustic cover.  I like it; it's definitely catchier than most protest songs.  As this CD's liner notes state: "it's an endearing record, with a happy ending that would make Frank Capra proud."
  • Saturday Morning Confusion - Bobby Russell:  Peaked at #28 in September 1971. A country crossover hit that tells the story of a frustrated father as he tries to manage family in and about his house.  I'm not usually a guy that listens to lyrics, but these made me laugh.  I've been there, dude.  Many times.
  • Sweet City Woman - Stampeders: Peaked at #8 in October 1971. I still hear this one on the oldies station.  The loping groove, banjo, catchy chorus, and a singalong hook filled bridge all combine for a song that is very listener-friendly.
  • One Fine Morning - Lighthouse: Peaked at #24 in November 1971. A driving rock song in the vein of Blood, Sweat & Tears.  The band was huge in their native Canada (they won Juno Awards for Best Canadian Group of the Year in 1972, 1973, and 1974), but this was one of only two Top 40 hits in the US.
  • Absolutely Right - Five Man Electrical Band: Peaked at #26 in November 1971.  It is very rare to have to songs by the same group on a compilation like this, but here ya go.  Some nice harmonies, but it isn't near the song that Signs is.
  • It's A Cryin' Shame - Gayle McCormick: Peaked at #44 in November 1971.  A bouncy pop song.  I don't love it but I don't hate it.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Since I was 4 - 5 years old when these were popular, it isn't surprising that I was unfamiliar with many of these songs when I bought this disc.  My musical tastes in 1970 leaned towards Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers albums.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 9
Volume 12
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 21
Volume 22

No comments:

Post a Comment