Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Various Artists - Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 16 (1993)


Disc 16 of 25. This disc contains singles that peaked on the charts between January 1970 - October 1972. This is a mixed bag compilation for sure, but it perfectly illustrates the diversity of the music played on Top 40 radio in the 1970s. The CD peaks early and crashes near the end.

Tracks:
  • Vehicle - The Ides Of March: Peaked at #2 in May 1970
    An unabashed knock-off of Blood, Sweat & Tears, but what a fantastic knock-off. I still hear this from time to time on the radio and from high school marching bands. Today's trivia: the singer of this song, Jim Peterik, would go on to play keyboards in the 80's group Survivor.
  • Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image: Peaked at #4 in July 1970
    An unabashed knock-off of Three Dog Night, but what a fantastic knock-off. I had no idea what they were singing about, but I would sing "Ride, captain, ride, upon your mystery ship" at the top of my lungs as a child.
  • Midnight Cowboy - Ferrante & Teicher: Peaked at #10 in January 1970
    I wouldn't have guessed that I would own any Ferrante & Teicher, but here they are. Featuring a noodling guitar over piano and harpsichord, it's a wicked earworm.
  • Toast And Marmalade For Tea - Tin Tin: Peaked at #20 in May 1971
    Although I'm a fan of group member Steve Kipner, this isn't my thing. Side note: I didn't know what marmalade was in 1971. I learned of it from reading books in the Paddington Bear series.
  • Overture From Tommy (A Rock Opera) - The Assembled Multitude: Peaked at #16 in August 1970
    This actually charter higher than any song from the Who's original album. The CD's liner notes nail it: "It sounds a little like the theme from Tommy: The TV Show."
  • Never Ending Song Of Love - Delaney & Bonnie & Friends: Peaked at #13 in July 1971
    I'm not a fan of the folk rock campfire sing-along. Sounds like something I'd be forced to sing at church camp: "And you'd better smile while you sing, young man! You're having fun!"
  • I'd Love To Change The World - Ten Years After: Peaked at #40 in November 1971
    Classic early '70s psychedelic blues rock. I like it in a moody sort of way.
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh) (Mbube) - Robert John: Peaked at #3 in March 1972
    A bad cover of a classic by the man who would go on to hit it big Sad Eyes.
  • I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) - The New Seekers: Peaked at #7 in January 1972
    Yes, it was a Coke commercial jingle first. According to wikipedia, The Coca-Cola Company waived royalties to the song and instead donated $80,000 in payments to UNICEF. Still, I'd be OK if I never heard it again.
  • Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton: Peaked at #4 in August 1972
    I don't remember this song about divorce. I saw Newton in Vegas during the summer of 1999 and don't remember if he sang this one or not. If I learned he didn't include this in his set, I wouldn't be disappointed. Just give us Danke Schoen.
  • Small Beginnings - Flash: Peaked at #29 in August 1972
    Kind of cross between The Who and early Yes. I'll take a pass.
  • The City Of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie: Peaked at #18 in October 1972
    Not a great song, I don't care for it, but I will admit its got a chorus that is easy to remember and sing-along with. I can just imagine everyone getting drunk at the piano bar and belting out this one.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Nothing in particular other than what's mentioned above.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 6
Volume 9
Volume 12
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 21
Volume 22

No comments:

Post a Comment