Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Squeeze - Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD. My edition is the original CD release, not the 1997 reissue with 2 bonus tracks.

When Squeeze reformed in 1985, in took them a few albums to get back up to speed. The production on this album was odd in '85 and hasn't aged well. It's like the band wanted to sound more like XTC than Squeeze. The distorted bass is strangely forward in the mix and there are some unusual choices in regard to synth sounds. Still, there are a few songs where the old Difford & Tilbrook magic is evident. Fortunately, the band's releases got steadily better until the mid-'90s. Because of problems with the A&M label, it took me a long time to find a copy of the CD. But I can't say I really blame the label - why produce CDs that probably won't sell? Because of quirky melodies and chord progressions, most Squeeze music requires several listenings before they can be fully enjoyed. As a result, I listened to this record over and over, allowing the music to sink in. Honestly, if I listened to this album for the first time today, it probably wouldn't get another listen for a while. But since that wasn't the case back then, I still know every word.

The band has said the album title "merges the titles of two highly important pieces of music - Mozart's comic opera Cosi Fan Tutte and Little Richard's Tutti Frutti." It bears no resemblance to either. The subsequent tour was dubbed "Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti en Routti."

Press of the time:
  • Smash Hits (9 out of 10): "some of Squeeze's strongest work yet."
  • Rolling Stone: "musically involuted and psychologically involving"
  • Stereo Review: "unsettling, but it's not altogether unpleasant"
  • CashBox: "Typically exquisite songwriting"
  • Billboard: "ripe, witty set of modern pop/rock"


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #57 (Oct 19, 1985)
Peak on CashBox album chart: #37
Peak on the Rolling Stone chart: #26

Tracks: Dated production aside, the good tracks are King George Street, Hits Of The Year, Break My Heart, and, if you ignore the bizarre intro, Last Time Forever. The final track, I Won't Ever Go Drinking Again (?), is probably the best hangover song ever recorded.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This album reminds me of my sophomore year in college when I started dating the girl I would later marry. Being a complete idiot when it comes to talking with women, I would sometimes use song lyrics in a lame attempt at being romantic. I'm fairly certain that I copped some lyrics from this release. The results of that plagiarism were as bad as you might think. It amazes me that my wife put up with that and married me anyway.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Domino (1998)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Babylon and On (1987)
Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
East Side Story (1981)
Argybargy (1980)
Cool For Cats (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment