Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Various Artists - Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits 1963 (1993)


Not sure about rock'n'roll hits, but there's healthy helping of R&B plus a couple of surf rock classics. Or maybe that simply illustrates how much rock'n'roll owes to rhythm and blues. This CD ("compiled" by Joel Whitburn and released by Rhino) is first-rate; my only complaint is the 24 minute running time.

This disc is part of a 20 CD compilation series spanning 1955 to 1974, with one 10-track album for year; each track made the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. All the Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits discs for years 1960 through 1969 were originally released in 1988 or 1989, and rereleased in 1993 with revised track listings, due to licensing restrictions. This 1993 reissue replaced Fingertips Pt. 2 by Little Stevie Wonder with If You Wanna Be Happy, and Walk Like A Man by The Four Seasons with Deep Purple.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, including Billboard chart peaks:

Title Artist
Pop
R&B
Sugar Shack Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs 1 1
Surf City Jan & Dean 13
He's So Fine The Chiffons 11
It's My Party Lesley Gore 11
If You Wanna Be Happy Jimmy Soul 11
Louie Louie The Kingsmen 21
Easier Said Than Done The Essex 11
Deep Purple Nino Tempo & April Stevens 14
My Boyfriend's Back The Angels 12
Surfin' U.S.A. The Beach Boys 320

Several of the tracks are new to my CD shelves but not new to my ears. Since I was born in 1966, these tunes have always been around, right? All ten cuts are fantastic.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Except for The Beatles and Stones, I wasn't much for '60s tunes until my college years (1984-88), but then I was in deep and have never looked back.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits 1968
Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits 1962

1 comment: